Campfirer: A Jabber / Campfire Gateway
Campfirer gives campfire users a way to connect to rooms using any Jabber (XMPP) client. It does this by implementing (a portion) of the multi-user chat extension. Note that you must first have an account at campfirenow.com and have created a room there before you can use campfirer to connect.
There are two ways you can use the campfirer gateway:
- You can use the gateway running at campfirer.com to connect to any campfire room. See the instructions below.
- You can run a Jabber server at your own domain and run campfirer as an XMPP component. See the component page for directions.
The first option is the easiest to try things out - but there is no guarantee of service quality or uptime.
Connecting to Campfirer.com
There are three pieces of information you’ll need first:
- Your account name. This is the name portion of your login url of https://name.campfirenow.com
- The name of the room you want to connect to
- Your username / password that you use at https://name.campfirenow.com to log in
To connect, start your Jabber client and choose the option to join a new group chat.
- Your nickname (or username) should be your username for campfirenow.com.
- Your password is the password you use to log into campfirenow.com.
- The name of the room you should use is is your acount name followed by a ”.” followed by the name of the room. For instance, if your account name is mycompany and your room name is tech, you should tell your Jabber client you want to connect to “mycompany.tech”.
- The name of the server is muc.campfirer.com.
If your client merely asks for the room (without a separate box for the server name), use “firstname.lastname@example.org”. That’s it.